miércoles, 9 de febrero de 2011

Martha, Evan, Laura and Conor McManamy.

My 3 teens and I are volunteering for a month at Los Patojos, ( “The Kids”) near Antigua, Guatemala. We did quite a bit of research before choosing this NGO, and as you may know there are many NGOs in the Antigua area! Each is doing wonderful work in its own way, and the needs are tremendous so there is no problem with excess capacity of volunteers. What drew us to Los Patojos is evident if you look at the wonderful photos on the site: the place is full of joy! Among the many after-school enrichment programs for low-income children, Los Patojos seems to be unique in encouraging children to be their most creative and joyful selves.

The walls are covered with murals, children are encouraged to play ball and horse around during study breaks, and the sense of personal responsibility being taught reminds me of our Montessori education at home. The staff takes pains to treat the kids with the respect and love which many of them do not receive at home.

Juan Pablo, the founder, has a vision for social justice which pervades the center. They are teaching the kids to be the leaders of tomorrow, to have an understanding of the political realities of Guatemala and abroad, and to have a sense that they CAN make a difference in the world. So for example, the staff get together periodically to talk about political realities and how to create justice in Guatemala. This month, the teens are creating a newsletter, and they are planning a break dance event for the community – this in one of the most severely disadvantaged communities in the country, where people do not feel safe venturing out after dark.

I started by roaming around the center, getting to know the rhythms of the afternoon and exploring the age groups. From teaching jump rope, beading and painting with the youngest ones, to reading a simple book and working out English words with the older ones, to just sitting quietly with a child as he did his homework, helping him or her to concentrate better in that wildly festive atmosphere, I felt needed and helpful right away. Within a few minutes, children started to approach me with questions. I felt that little hand on my back, and a hesitant “Seño – puedes ayudarme?” “Teacher, can you help me?” At the end of the day, I was showered with hugs from many kids. Even more gratifying: when we walk through the neighborhood after the sessions, I meet many of the parents, who greet us with a smile of recognition. Several times, they have come up to me to thank me for being there for their children.

Yesterday, Juan Pablo told me that the oldest elementary-aged children, age 10 to 12, needed some volunteer help. So I went to the coordinator of that group, Rafa, and told him I was available to take a group. Honestly I had no idea what would happen a few minutes later when 10 children assembled eagerly in their classroom, ready for what I had to offer. As it turned out, we had a wonderful conversation ranging from geography (Where is Kenya? What direction is the United States from here?) to how it feels to fall into a huge snowbank (a current topic with all the snow up north this winter). I found that the children knew the English-language Happy Birthday song but they did not know what the words meant. After we learned this we launched eagerly into the Spanish rejoinder, “Ya queremos pastel!” (“We want cake now!”) which they taught me. When I talked about my religion, we got into a conversation about who is that man with the black hat on the cereal box, and we even invented a little song that Quaker Oats could use as its advertising jingle! I look forward to an ongoing conversation with the group, helping them to discover their voices and learn more about the world and the role they can play to make it better.

2 comentarios:

  1. Muchas Gracias Martha por su publicación, es un honor y gran alegría poder compartir nuestro tiempo, espacio y sueños con usted y su increíble familia.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.

    ResponderEliminar